Sunday, May 31, 2015

Kindness and Community

We did it! We survived our first Kindness Walk to support the MISS Foundation. I first heard about the MISS Foundation when we first lost Hannah. I won't got into all that they do, but it's good and there are a lot of people that depend on them. They are amazing.

My first thought was "What a fun way to support a good cause!" My second thought was "It's too soon. I can't face it yet." So I was all set to avoid it. Then last week I changed my mind. I realized that I would never  "feel" like facing this and it was time to step out from the comfort zone of my house (and my computer) and do something that actually makes a difference.  We fell just shy of our fundraising goal, but considering  we only had a week to plan, I'm proud and grateful for every penny that we did raise.

For me, the two best parts were the memory table where parents and friends and family could share pictures or mementos of the children they lost. My other favorite part was at the end of the walk. There were signs with a foot print and the name of all the children. It was beautifully heartbreaking. All those children, all the heartbreak, all the love. So many families just here in our local community.

It was heartwarming to see the way we all came together, united by grief and loss. It was terribly sad but terribly comforting to see the compassion and support in action. We are not alone. Our children are not forgotten. They were here for however brief a moment in time, and they will always matter.


It's not to late to donate if you are so inclined. Here is the link to the Team Hannah page.

http://www.firstgiving.com/team/297083

No comments:

Post a Comment